[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .com price increases

Emyr Williams emyr at me.com
Tue Feb 11 00:40:48 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

Your recent proposal to increase .com prices has come as a shock and will impact my ability to operate a website as a freelancer.

Not only is this move to charge more being done without consultation it seems to be driven solely by greed and profit, something which is at odds with the way the internet has been since it’s inception.

I’m sure  70% increase will easily be absorbed by many large businesses but I and many others will have to seriously consider having a website is viable and move their online presence solely to social media to reduce overheads.

Please reverse this decision, not only will it be perceived solely as a money-grabbing exercise it will totally undermine your organisation’ credibility and move the internet community to find alternative solutions to the problem and curb the activities of ICANN.

For the benefit of everyone — don’t do this, it’s self-destructive and undemocratic.

Emyr Williams