[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Regarding Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Alexander Smith alexmcraysmith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 16:00:20 UTC 2020

To Whom it May Concern,

I am writing in regards to Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry
Agreement. I am a software engineer with multiple registered domain names
used for both personal and business purposes. I wholeheartedly OPPOSE this
proposed change for the following reasons:

   1. If this proposed change were to take it effect, within 10 years, .COM
   domains could cost approximately 70% more than the current wholesale price
   of $7.85. The proposed increases do not align with the current rate of
   inflation and no justification has been given regarding the reasoning for
   these massive price increases.
   2. Lack of accountability. As part of this proposed amendment, Verisign
   has greed to pay ICANN an additional $20 million dollars over five years.
   However, there are no stipulations in place regarding how this money will
   be used or any outside accountability mechanisms for ensuring all dealings
   are open and honest.
   3. The proposed changes will put new registrars at a significant
   disadvantage. Existing registrars receive 6 months notice for impending
   price increases and have the opportunity to lock-in prices at a
   pre-increase rate for up to 10 years. However, new domain registrars will
   not be able to receive these discounts, giving incumbent registrars a
   distinct advantage and thus stifling innovation.

I urge that the current proposal be abandoned and that a fairer and more
transparent price increase model be adopted. Price increases should be
consistent with the rate of inflation and not subject to arbitrary
agreements made by companies whose interests might not align with the
greater good of the internet.

Sincerely,

Alex Smith,
Travelers Rest, SC USA