[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Public Comment from David Spector

David Spector icann at springtimesoftware.com
Mon Feb 10 22:12:54 UTC 2020

To whom it may concern:

I am a reasonably intelligent adult, having retired after a 40 year
career in software and Web programming. I have worked in companies large
and small, including owning my own consulting company. I have attempted
to read "THIRD AMENDMENT TO THE .COM REGISTRY AGREEMENT" and find that
it uses legal language to such a degree that it is difficult to
understand its full effects.

However, one thing is clear: it further moves ICANN into alignment with
the for-profit objectives of VeriSign, Inc., a Delaware-based
corporation well-known for its high prices and poor service.

The management of domain names is, in essence, a simple process based on
the Domain Name System, which uses a mixture of a few dedicated
computers and a very large number of shared, private, and public
computers to maintain a simple distributed database of Authoritative
Zone records and DNS caches that define the association between IP
addresses and human-readable domain names.

This basic, low-cost system was extended to become a large system of
Domain Name Registries who participate to further increase the cost of
maintaining Zone records with very little added functionality beyond
what could have been provided directly by ICANN through a public and
secure automated interface.

In addition, ICANN does nothing to prevent large blocks of IP addresses
to be allocated to countries and individuals having criminal or
malicious intent.

I wish to raise my voice in protest to this Agreement, which appears to
allow (and perhaps mandate) price increases of 7% per year for the next
8 years.

Instead of prices increasing, they should drop dramatically, and
management of the Domain Name System should be transferred to a public
agency or other truly nonprofit and economically disinterested
organization. Prices should be calculated based on the actual costs to
maintain the TLD computers, their Internet connections, and the actual
cost of an automated public interface and a small trained human staff
for most activities associated with maintaining domain names.

Regardless of whether reasonable proposals for reducing the price of
domain name management, making the current insecure Domain Name System
secure, and eliminating the wasteful Domain Name Registries are adopted,
this THIRD AMENDMENT TO THE .COM REGISTRY AGREEMENT should be canceled
in its entirety, thus protecting the Web from the self-interested greed
and collusion of financial interest of both ICANN and VeriSign, Inc.

If this Amendment does go into effect, opposing the interest of all
Internet stakeholders including the general public, I hope that legal
action will be taken against it. I would contribute what I can afford to
such legal prosecution.

/s/ David Spector
56 Yale St.
Portland, ME 04103-3526