[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .com Registration Price Increases

Kevin Bender kubevubin at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:24:22 UTC 2020

I’d like to express my concern and disapproval regarding the potential for .com domain names to increase in terms of registration cost. While I can understand the desire to increase the cost for registering .com domains, .com domains undoubtedly provide more potential visibility for smaller entities. If you want to encourage people to use other top-level domains, then you should do so by ensuring that the prices for those other top-level domains DECREASE to the point that .com domains are less attractive from a cost perspective. You SHOULD NOT increase the cost of .com domains to make them less accessible to smaller entities, however, as that only encourages abuse by larger entities with more resources by forcing smaller entities to compromise on visibility.

I would, however, be in favor of .com price increases on the basis of how many .com domains a single entity owns to discourage domain squatters/scalpers from sitting on a bunch of domains for financial gain. Furthermore, I’d be in favor of .com price increases on the basis of total revenue so larger entities pay more for .com domain registrations while allowing smaller-scale companies and individuals to continue having access to the .com top-level domain.

Kevin Bender
Pacifica, CA