[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Amendment to .COM price increases

Michael Leger michael at homeodynamics.com
Mon Feb 10 22:42:11 UTC 2020

To Whom It May Concern;

I am a small business owner. I am writing to express my concern over the proposed allowance for price increases for .com domains. The cost of doing business on the Internet is already quite challenging for a small business owner. The proposed 7% annual increases for the next four years, then freeze for two, then increase for four, then freeze for two, etc, is essentially a guarantee that the cost of owning a .com domain will only be affordable for the most lucrative businesses in the not too distant future.

The usage of these additional funds is not specified. Why is this increase necessary? The proposal also would allow Verisign to become a domain registrar, essentially creating a monopolistic business in one fell swoop. Why was the process for proposing changes done without public and industry input?

As a business owner and consumer of various domains, I cannot see a problem for your proposed solution. I only see a policy that would allow one company to gouge all consumers of .com domains without recourse.

Please relegate this change to it's appropriate place in the recycle bin.

Sincerely,
Michael Leger
Homeodynamics.com