[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Changes in contract with Verisign Inc. to operate top-level domains

Laurent Munier laurent at safepacific.com
Mon Feb 10 23:09:35 UTC 2020

Hi

I am writing to voice my opposition to the proposed arrangement between ICANN and Verisign that will increase rates on the .com domains and decrease competition on companies who provide registrar services.

I personally own 40+ domains for myself and my business and this will directly affect me.   Certain registrars are already trying to raise prices on top level domain names without adding any more value - it just seems like a price gouge.

If there are to be any changes to how domain names are priced, it should be an open process that incorporates more than just the 2 parties who stand to benefit most from the change - ICANN and Verisign.

I also want to express my opposition to Verisign becoming a registrar and stifling competition in a space where they have been given a dominant position.  Verisign has profited from this first-mover, dominant position for years and trying to get into an even more dominant position only serves them and not the public who relies on affordable domain name fees.

  1.  Do not increase wholesale domain registration rates
  2.  Do not allow Verisign to change it's position in the market to start competing with registrars who are currently their clients

Thank you

Laurent

--
Laurent Munier