[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Price increases: .COM

Masih Shah masih.shah at outlook.com
Mon Feb 10 23:16:53 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

As a person who grew up in the ‘90s and has seen a lot change since then, the internet has been one of the few things that has allowed people to let their voices be heard, let people trade without borders, let families form through millions of connections. All through the internet, and 40% of those through a .COM domain in some form.

Increasing prices may offer you temporary revenue increase, and allow you to hit your KPIs. But in the long-run, people will just shift on to other, more affordable domains. This is already pretty obvious in the startup scene where the .COM no longer is the king it once used to be. People use creativity to be able to use domains other than .COM. So increasing prices for .COM domains may just speed up this shift and in the end not benefit anyone.

I am pretty sure this email will end up somewhere in the pile of thousands of other emails, and nobody will read it. But if for some miracle you do read it, I do hope that there is something we can do about it. Let’s not let greed get in the way of freedom and the best thing this generation has had, the internet made possible by the use of domain names, and in this case .COM domain names.

Together we cann do it. You cann. We cann. ICANN.

Thanks
Masih