Mc Kiernan Daniel Kian Mc_Kiernan at Oeconomist.com
Mon Feb 10 23:26:30 UTC 2020

I watch with alarm as various barriers-to-entry are being raised on
the Internet.  I can enumerate various of these if necessary, but I
believe that they are fairly obvious.  An increase in the wholesale
price of registering a .COM domain, which increase will largely be
passed-on to registrants, would be yet one more.

As an economist, I look upon the present structure of registration as
a product of bad economic theory.  In real terms (that is to say,
adjusting for more general changes in prices), the cost of wholesale
provision ought to be declining even in the face of an increase in
funding for ICANN.  If Verisign's inflation-adjusted costs are
increasing, those increases result from the X-inefficiency of a
monopoly, which monopoly should be phased-out of existence.