[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .COM prices increase

Lincoln Ho holincolnly at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:03:27 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

As users of the internet, we enjoy the neutrality of such platform first and foremost. With a proposed price increase in .COM domains alongside what looks like a financial bribe, ICANN as an organisation is essentially abandoning their non-profit status in an attempt to benefit from the Internet, an invention that was created for the ease of information exchange. Furthermore, while there might be sufficient reasoning behind such a change, this decision will taint the reputation and authority of ICANN if the spending of the alleged $20 million dollars remains undisclosed.

Personally, the Internet to me is a valuable place to freely express my thoughts and opinions, and I suppose same goes for billions of others too. Privatising this technology is equivalent to using fossil fuels, where the rich benefits from resources that should be shared by all mankind.

I will leave you with a quote by Sir Tim Berners Lee himself - “When something is such a creative medium as the web, the limits to it are our imagination.”  I sincerely hope you will take my opinions into considerations when making the decision on the proposed amendment.

Sincerely,
Lincoln Ho