[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Public comment against price increases

Michal Laszcz mlszdesign at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 23:02:52 UTC 2020

ICANN made these changes in secret, without consulting or incorporating
feedback from the ICANN community or Internet users. Although ICANN has a
history of making similar deals behind closed doors, and also of ignoring
unified opposition against such action, we are focused on leading the fight
against price increases that will harm our customers (and the Internet as a
whole). This is a crucial time to raise our voices given that *.COM domains
make up 40% of all registered domain names online. *Wholesale registries
charge Namecheap a set fee per domain name per year. According to this new
agreement, Verisign will be allowed to increase the wholesale price to
registrars for .COM domains every year for 8 out of the next 10 years, and
the increases don’t stop there.

This will mean that* .COM wholesale domain prices can grow by more than 70%
over and above current prices over the next decade*. The contract also
allows for other price increases, which could drive prices up further,
ultimately making .COM domains less accessible and more expensive for
everybody.

I do not want any of this to happen.

Michal Laszcz
Industrial Designer