[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Opposed to Amendment 3

Matt Haliski mhaliski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:52:03 UTC 2020

To whom it may concern,

I would like to lodge my opposition to Amendment 3 and the eventual price increase to .com TLDs. Some things in life, no matter how they begin, end up transcending their origins. The .com domain names were/are the gateway to millions of ideas that simply require a couple of bucks a year to realize. No other TLD comes close in value.

I understand that those in charge of the pricing feel as if they are entitled to a cut of that value. It's a simple business proposition and will result in who knows how much additional revenue. I, however, think it would be a mistake to choose revenue over raising the barrier to entry for future creators.

I was once a kid who built websites before the internet became the behemoth it is today. Back then, for $10/year I could goof around and build something on a whim. I didn't have any money back then, yet this was the one space I could go up against anybody and compete. I hate to envision a world where a kid needs, say $50/year, to dabble with an idea. I know it won't be $50/year tomorrow, but slippery slopes are slippery.

I hope this amendment is reconsidered.

---
Matt Haliski
mhaliski at gmail.com