[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Public Comment - Kirby Best

Kirby Best kirbybest at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:55:51 UTC 2020

To whom it may concern,

According to this new agreement, Verisign will be allowed to increase the
> wholesale price to registrars for .COM domains every year for 8 out of the
> next 10 years, and the increases don’t stop there.

What additional benefit to the public will coincide with these increases?
Managing a public good like domain registration means that you have to act
as a good caretaker. It would be one thing if there was some new benefit to
the public that would justify years of cost increases. Instead it seems
like you're using your near-monopoly to allow a private company to extract
profits for no discernible reason.

Alongside these contract changes, *Verisign agreed to pay ICANN an
> additional $20 million dollars over five years to support* ICANN's domain
> name system initiatives, without any clarity about how ICANN will spend the
> money, or who will ensure that the funds are properly spent on domain
> infrastructure.

 I think the proposed changes will be a net negative.

Thank you,
Kirby Best