[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Please Reject Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Jason law.fuller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:13:04 UTC 2020

ICANN:

Objection: I object to Proposed Amendment 3’s allowance for Verisign to
increase the wholesale price to registrars for .COM domains every year for 8
out of the next 10 years, with the prospect of additional increases, as
well.

Reasons for Objection: There are two reasons for my objection. First, the
proposed price increases would make .COM domains less accessible and more
expensive for everybody. This runs contrary to the independent, equalizing
fabric of the Internet—the greatest advancement of freedom in our time.

Second, along with Proposed Amendment 3, Verisign agreed to pay ICANN an
additional $20 million dollars over five years to support ICANN's
domain-name system initiatives. But there is no clarity about how ICANN will
spend the money or who will ensure that the funds are properly spent on
domain infrastructure. As this does not avoid the appearance of impropriety,
it diminishes popular trust for ICANN and could subject ICANN to unnecessary
governmental scrutiny. If ICANN just stays open, honest, and transparent,
ICANN’s trust is less likely to erode and governments will be less likely to
feel the need to intervene in ICANN affairs.

Best wishes,

Jason Fuller

Confidentiality Notice: This email is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and is confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or phone and then

When the passions become masters, they are vices.

~ Blaise Pascal