[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Proposed .COM amendment

Paul Kandō Romaine paul.romaine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:12:46 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

As a registrant of Namecheap and other registrars, I object strongly to the
new proposed .COM amendments to ICANN's agreement with Verisign.

First, the price increase leaves vulnerable small businesses and private
contractors who rely on their personal websites for bringing business to
them. I rely on a personal .com website (paulwromaine.com) for referrals
for my small business editing and consulting, and my other personal website
for person's interested in my field of books and libraries (bibliowonk.com).
Many small artists in niche fields, rely on a personal domain as a brand.
This suggested price increase will force many early career (or struggling)
artists to abandon their domains, which for many of them is a key part of
branding their personal art.

Second, it is not clear how the additional funds asked by Verisign (and
which ICANN has agreed to) will directly benefit end-users by improving the
underlying infrastructure of the domain registry system.

I urge ICANN to reconsider this agreement and renegotiate it to favor
end-users, and to make sure the final agreement is more transparent.
Although I am but a small part of the overall ICANN ecosystem, greater
transparency about the uses of the price increases, is better for the
entire domain registry system.

Thank you for your consideration.

*PLEASE NOTE, the ICANN submission form required an installed email client.
Since I used gmail's web client, the form did not work properly. I'm
pasting the form's data below my signature.*

Yours truly,
Paul Romaine
paul.romaine at gmail.com
New York, NY

<form onsubmit="location='mailto:comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20 at icann.org?body=
'; return false" enctype="text/plain" class="mail-form" action="mailto:
comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20 at icann.org" accept-charset="UTF-8"
method="post"><input name="utf8" type="hidden" value="?"><input
type="hidden" name="authenticity_token"
value="lLIFP2LIEnY8pwbaT+QBoRJnLBNWv2Tnf5n2M5/X79ijUtWXgxnIssDazOc7trMvKEQ3yTPFXlcwUsOZYYyaNQ=="><label
for="Please_acknowledge_the_statement_below_and_click_Continue_to_start_the_email_for_your_comment.">Please
acknowledge the statement below and click continue to start the email for
your comment.</label><br><input type="checkbox" name="terms_of_services"
id="terms_of_services" value="yes" class="signup-checkbox"><label
class="signup-checkbox-label" for="terms_of_services"> <abbr
title="required" class="">*</abbr> By submitting my personal data, I agree
that my personal data will be processed in accordance with the <abbr
title="Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers">ICANN</abbr> <a
target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" href="
https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy">Privacy Policy</a>, and agree to
abide by the website <a target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" href="
type="submit" name="commit" value="Continue" class="Button"></form>