[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .COM domain prices should be going down – not up

Quincy Larson quincy at freecodecamp.org
Mon Feb 10 22:21:04 UTC 2020

I left a public comment during the .ORG ICANN fiasco. And in light of
ICANN's new .COM shenanigans, I'm leaving this public comment as well.

The registration cost of .IN domains is less than $1. How come the
registration cost of .COM domains is so much higher? And how can ICANN
justify raising costs even further?

The cost of running a database – which is all the domain registry is – is a
fraction of what it was in the 1990s when the US government first granted
ICANN a contract to oversee the world's DNS.

Now it looks like ICANN is accepting a $20 million bribe from Verisign in
exchange for removing price caps, so that Verisign can price-gouge the
millions of small businesses who rely on .COM domains.

You may be able to get away with doing this to nonprofits like
freeCodeCamp.org but there's no way the millions of small businesses who
use the .COM TLD are going to accept this.

Quit taking bribes from Verisign, Ethos Capital, and other corporations.
Start making prices go down, not up. Or we the people replace your
organization with one that actually does the job it was entrusted to do.

- Quincy Larson
Teacher at https://www.freecodecamp.org