Glenn Messersmith glenn at glennmessersmith.com
Tue Feb 11 18:37:30 UTC 2020

 I am a registrant of a few .com domain names. I am strongly against the
proposed price increase to .COM domains. ICANN is supposed to govern the
domain name system in the public interest. There are many thousands if not
millions of well established domains registered to to small time
independent, non-commercial individuals like me of limited financial
resources who registered their .COM domains a long time ago when the choice
of top level domains was severely limited. A .COM name offered the best
value for us as even then there was a premium placed on other top level
names like .ORG.

I am aware that "non-commercial" is a direct contradiction of what ".COM"
is supposed to be for. However, it has become the "default" of many
registrants for many reasons. Perhaps, like me, they didn't legitimately
qualify as a ".ORG" entity. Even legitimate non-profit organizations often
buy .COM alternatives to their .ORG name because so many users
automatically type ".com" even when ".org" would be more appropriate and
would be just as functional.

A significant price hike on .COM domain names would cause a great hardship
for many small time independent, non-commercial individuals like me, as
well as for many non-profit and philanthropic organizations. .COM price
hikes are contrary to the public interest.

Glenn Messersmith
Seattle, Washington