[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Amendment 3

Rick Smith rick at netguerrilla.org
Mon Feb 10 21:49:19 UTC 2020

ICANN -

I own some .COM domains. I just found out about your proposed Amendment
3. I also just found out that the public comment period has been open
since Jan. 3rd and has only 4 days remaining. Had it not been for my
registrar, Namecheap, I would have never known about this. I don't know
what the issue is with all the secrecy. Perhaps it's the sweetheart deal
of $20 million you're getting from Verisign. In any case, your proposed
changes to the .COM TLD pricing structure benefit no one.

Well, I suppose the changes benefit ICANN and Verisign but they
certainly don't benefit anyone else. The price increases don't benefit
the registrars because they'll just have to pass the price increases on
to the registrants. And the price increases don't benefit the
registrants. They'll either have to eat the price increases or pass them
along as a cost of doing business to their customers. My suggestion is
that you do the right thing and keep the .COM pricing structure the way
it is.

Rick Smith