[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] (no subject)

Rifa Achrinza rifa at achrinza.com
Tue Feb 11 00:43:28 UTC 2020

I am the owner of several .com domains under an private school.

I strongly oppose Proposed Amendment 3.

While I believe ICANN is within its rights to receive more monetary support, the lack of  price cap is concerning. I believe the domain name system has been set up in the name of public interests and should continue to operate as such. There is no reason to not have a price cap and not having one can lead to actions taken by VeriSign that may not be under public interest. Most notably, a wholesale price hike. This may create a scenario where the prices become unbearable for small, medium businesses (SMBs), effectively only permitting larger companies (and domain squatters) to claim domains.

I strongly recommend that ICANN to not adopt this proposal, re-review the proposed amendment and consider at the minimum replacing the price cap (albeit higher).

Best regards,
Rifa Achrinza
SG, Singapore