[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] ICANN Agreement with Verisign to Raise TLD Prices

Roger Saxon roger.saxon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 01:09:36 UTC 2020

I wish to express my objection to agreements between ICANN and private
sector corporations that seek to monetize a public resource as a profit
center. In this case the Agreement with Verisign which seeks to raise
prices for .com domains.

The fact a *secret* agreement with Verisign is in progress, indicates
there is potential for illegal activity, including corruption. Without
public disclosure, there is no trust.

A private corporation (Verisign in this case) must not be allowed to
define and manage pricing for what is a public resource. If Verisign is
unable to manage the .com domain, among other TLDs, then another company
must be sought through a competitive process.

I've regarded ICANN to be a defender of affordable domain access to the
Internet, but this trust will be eroded in the event this agreement or
others like it are negotiated in secret, without public influence.

ICANN has a responsiblity to perform it's functions with the public
interest in mind, and not the corporate interest.