[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Price increases for .com registrations "administered" by Verisign, Inc.

John Sprockets sprocketsjohn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:51:31 UTC 2020

It has recently come to my attention that ICANN has concluded a deal,
without public oversight or advance comment, with Verisign Inc., allowing
it to raise .com registration rates to wholesalers over the coming years.
In exchange for this fee increase approval, ICANN accepted a $20 million
dollar payment for purposes unknown.

Aside from simple greed, there are no particularly valid reasons for
allowing price increases in .com.

Aside from bureaucratic self indulgence, there is no particular need for
ICANN to receive $20 million of Internet Users' funds, simply because they
can extract it in exchange for granting price increases.

Neither Verisign nor ICANN have much to do with the success of the
Internet, which has been brought about by users, and, if history is any
indicator, that reducing prices for TLD registrations is a better way to go
than increasing prices.

Verisign has more than ample revenue from its Internet related activities.
It should be forced to "make do" as should ICANN.

Situations like these remind me of the bribery scandals involved with the
Salt Lake City Olympics and the USOC.  Perhaps the press should investigate
and bring what they find into the light.

Change ICANN's position and deny any price increases to Verisign.