[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .Com Prices should not be going up

Samantha Kilford samanthakilford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 23:14:25 UTC 2020

I am writing in light of recent news that ICANN plans to raise prices of
.COM domains.

As a small business owner and student who runs her blog with .COM domain,
this decision will significantly impact my ability to continue something I
am extremely passionate about. I do not believe this should be the case.
You will be shutting out small business owners who cannot afford to pay
extortionate prices to rely on .COM domains for their brand which is purely
unacceptable. I am especially disgusted that the reason this is supposedly
happening is due to you accepting a $20 million bribe from Verisign. I am
appalled that you would be willing to seemingly rob small businesses,
bloggers and other site owners who rely on .COM domains of the ability to
share their work, products or stories simply because they cannot afford the
prices of .COM domains in the future with your planned rises.

I have spent several years building my .COM domain, using my site as an
outlet to share my writing as a student and running my site has been
incredibly beneficial to my mental health as it allowed me a platform to
voice my struggles. Yet, if .COM domain prices rise, I will not be able to
afford to do this. People like me cannot afford to spend hundreds - or
potentially thousands - on .COM domains especially if what we run doesn't
gain profit and is rather for passion. You will push out and alienate so
many talented, hardworking people with these price rises and rather than
making the internet accessible, you are choosing to ostracize poorer
communities.

I would urge ICANN not to do this. Your organisation was entrusted with a
job and sadly it comes across to me that you are willing to punish small
business owners or owners who cannot afford price rises of .COM domains
while the organisation profits financially from this deal with Verisign.

Yours Sincerely,

Samantha