[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] I object to Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

George Hasapidis gph at dbvw.com
Tue Feb 11 19:41:10 UTC 2020

A back room deal between ICANN and Verisign really feels like the bad old days of big business forming cartels and trusts that benefit big business at the expense of consumers and smaller businesses.  There needs to be some independent oversight and check on the power of big organizations like ICANN and Verisign, and clearly that oversight cannot come from the U.S. Federal Government's executive branch, which has proven itself corrupt and beholden to the interests of business at the expense of individuals.  Further, the .COM Registry Agreement has impacts well beyond the borders of the United States, so any oversight needs to not only be independent, but international-perhaps an entity like the World Trade Organization could fill this role.  At any rate, two powerful organizations ramming price increases down the throats of individuals and small businesses all over the world is not only counter to the egalitarian, democratic ideal of the Internet, but it also smacks of corporate malfeasance and bullying.  I concede that ICANN may need additional funds to enhance the security of the Internet, and that we may well be due for an increase in registration costs to keep up with rising prices in all areas, but this is not the way to do it because there is a clear conflict of interest and an unchecked monopoly.  For these reasons, I urge a rejection of amendment 3 until the amending process becomes more open, inclusive, transparent, and subject to truly independent oversight.

George Hasapidis
Information Systems Manager