[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Very disappointed in Amendment No. 3

James White james at thebaffler.com
Tue Feb 11 19:48:04 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

I'm dismayed to hear that ICANN has proposed allowing substantial fee
increases for maintaining .COM TLDs.

Over the past decade, I've watched the internet grow more and more
homogenous as a small handful of corporate platforms gradually wall off
users in tightly regulated platforms. The expression and creativity of the
early internet was largely fueled by how easy it was for individual end
users to plant a flag and manage their own sites, at their own domain.
Raising the barriers to running individual sites hurts everyone on the
internet, especially people who create content, products, or services, that
compete with big platforms or run afoul of their murky censorship
guidelines.

As far as I'm aware, the administrative overhead for maintaining the domain
registry has remained mostly stable. Keeping domain costs stable for end
users will encourage the participation of good internet citizens and make
the internet a more diverse, creative, and democratic space.

Thank you for your consideration.
James

--
*James White | The Baffler*