[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry comments

Wayne wayneqsr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 23:07:03 UTC 2020

"Following review of all of the public comments received, ICANN org will prepare and publish a summary and analysis report of the comments received."
First, this seems like a conflict of interest, sort of like letting the accused select which witnesses get to testify, or, as in recent times, to allow NO witnesses to testify at all.
Second, with everything being handled by computers for the registration and maintenance of .COM domain names, and with little to no need for human interaction, the increased costs seem counter-intuitive. Prices should be dropping, not increasing.
Third, not all online models can transfer to mobile 'apps' where the need for a .com domain is no longer even needed. Instead, we live and die by our .com domain names. The increased costs add an additional burden upon those who must maintain these domain names or even multiple versions of the same domain name in order to protect our intellectual property.  For example, if I owned a company such as XYZShoes.com I would also need to register names like XYZ-Shoes.com, X-Y-Z-Shoes.com, XYZShoes.biz, etc. to keep people from trying to take traffic from me by using very similar domain names like "XYZShoe.com." Indeed, for a now-defunct online business I once owned I received constant offers to 'sell' me dozens of variations of my own domain names with threats of other people getting them if I didn't buy them and thus risk someone registering a variation as a trademark then suing me for infringement. This stuff goes on every day.
In summary, I do not see any benefit to giving ICANN the ability to raise prices not in keeping with the actual market and indeed creating more harm than good by giving them the ability to raise wholesale costs on a product like this where there is no actual cost on their end beyond giving their executives raises and more office space.
Please deny this unnecessary and burdensome plan.
Thank you.Wayne QuigleyHigh Point, NC 27261