[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Oppose price hike

Alan Balmer ajbcpapc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 02:26:21 UTC 2020

I oppose the price hike.

These changes will have significant impact on the Internet for years to
come, and only ICANN and Verisign have participated in this decision.

Alongside these contract changes, *Verisign agreed to pay ICANN an
additional $20 million dollars over five years to support* ICANN's domain
name system initiatives, without any clarity about how ICANN will spend the
money, or who will ensure that the funds are properly spent on domain
infrastructure.

Last month, ICANN, the organization that oversees domain names, announced
significant changes to the contract it has with Verisign, Inc. who operate
the .COM top-level-domain (TLD).
ICANN made these changes in secret, without consulting or incorporating
feedback from the ICANN community or Internet users. Although ICANN has a
history of making similar deals behind closed doors, and also of ignoring
unified opposition against such action, we are focused on leading the fight
against price increases that will harm our customers (and the Internet as a
whole). This is a crucial time to raise our voices given that *.COM domains
make up 40% of all registered domain names online*.

I oppose what is happening here!

Alan Balmer
641.233.1036