[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Keeping .COM dominant

John Eder johngeder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 05:22:35 UTC 2020

Please consider the long-term strategic impact of increasing the prices for
.com.  Anyone who knows anything about infrastructure knows these changes
are driven much more by the desire for more money than a core need for more
infrastructure to support domain names.  ".com" already holds a dominant
position among domain names, and brings in significant "revenue" to support
the infrastructure.  Why risk undermining a good thing?  Using basic
economic analysis we can theorize the higher we drive prices the more
likely an alternative is likely to arise, one that ICANN will have much
less influence over.  In this case we may find ourselves regretting the
greed that led to this situation.

I wish you all a pleasant day:

-J

--