[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] The slow death of a free and open internet

Brian Hamilton brian at brian-hamilton.com
Wed Feb 12 07:17:36 UTC 2020

Like many people i believe in the internet being a free and open space
for the sharing of information

It has become evident that the internet as a whole is being consolidated
into a handful of platforms owned by a small number of Tech Companies.
Such as Facebook, Google and Amazon

One of the only ways to have your own space on the internet outside of
the reach of big techs ever-changing terms of service. Is to purchase
your own domain and hosting.

Increasing the price of purchasing a domain name. Even if this price
change is very small. May be enough to stop smaller domain owners from
renewing or buying new domains.

I already have noticed that many small businesses still use Gmail
addresses and Facebook pages instead of hosting their own websites and
email.

I can see why many business owners may do this. After-all why bother
buying your own domain names, email and hosting when Google and Facebook
will happily provide all the internet services you may need for free.
Besides the data collection and lack of Privacy.

Please don't play into Big Tech's hands

Thank you for your consideration.