[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Public Comment to the Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

EDWARD D HARRY edwoodca at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 09:34:03 UTC 2020

To Whom It Concerns,

I’ve just become aware of ICANN’s close-door agreement to allow raises in the cost of .COM domain registration fees for 7 out of upcoming 10 years.

I am opposed to this deal, as it violates the spirit of ICANN’s mission and purpose.

In reading on the purpose and guidelines of ICANN I see this:

ICANN's primary principles of operation have been described as helping preserve the operational stability of the Internet; to promote competition; to achieve broad representation of the global Internet community; and to develop policies appropriate to its mission >>>> through bottom-up, consensus-based processes <<<<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN#cite_note-Memorandum_of_understanding_between_the_U.S._Department_of_Commerce_and_Internet_Corporation_for_assigned_names_and_numbers-6

of which the above is cited from ICANN’s own website, here:

4. Representation.

This Agreement promotes the technical management of the DNS in a manner that reflects the global and functional diversity of Internet users and their needs. This Agreement is intended to promote the design, development, and testing of mechanisms to solicit public input, both domestic and international, into a private-sector decision making process. These mechanisms will promote the flexibility needed to adapt to changes in the composition of the Internet user community and their needs.

from: https://www.icann.org/resources/unthemed-pages/icann-mou-1998-11-25-en

Best regards,
Ed Harry
Private U.S. Citizen with 7 .COM domain names for myself [2] and my daughter [5].

Sent from Mail for Windows 10