[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Concerns about the .COM price developments

Alexander Thomas alexander.thomas at abtom.de
Wed Feb 12 10:05:43 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN representatives,

I am very concerned about the changes in the contract between ICANN and Verisign and about the creation of this contract. It does not seem to me to be an appropriate way of proceeding for an institution committed to the free Internet.

Non-transparent negotiations and large payments not bound to a specific purpose (here $20,000,000!) have the potential to cause irreparable damage to trust.

Furthermore, domain names are an integral part of the free internet and especially .COM domains are an important basis for small and medium sized companies, self-employed persons and start-ups all over the world to participate in the free, worldwide traffic of goods and services. - And this is not the only, but in my opinion the most important innovation that has been made possible by the Internet.

There is no question that all parties should benefit from this traffic. A drastic price increase over a long period of time, however, has the potential to permanently destroy the Internet as we know it and its possibilities for participation - and what will remain, as always, is us, who have the majority of all privileges on our side anyway.

So please keep in mind that the internet is not only Microsoft, Google and Amazon, but also Bob's Auto Parts Market and this small, highly innovative start-up of some students from the Czech Republic, which wants to offer its services worldwide and therefore relies on the recognized .COM domain!

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Alexander Thomas

--
Alexander Thomas
Geschäftsführer

Mail: alexander.thomas at abtom.de

ABTOM UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
MAtthäusweg 7
12355 Berlin

Geschäftsf. A.-B. Thomas
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 143804 B