[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Please don't make the Internet less accessible

Adam Dorsey adam.dorsey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:40:35 UTC 2020

One of the great things about the Internet is that a person can go to a
registrar, grab a name and have their own corner of the largest
collaborative effort in human history.  The low prices of DNS names have
spurred innovation by ensuring that no one is priced out of access to the
DNS system.

I am deeply concerned by the proposal for ICANN to collaborate with a
for-profit organization.  I fear that the profit motives of Verisign will
override the goals of ICANN and result in another business entity that
exists solely to make money, at the expense of the Internet and the DNS
system as a whole.

I am also concerned with the focus on "attacks on the security and
stability of DNS" being used for potential price increases.  This same
language has been used to erode civil liberties in the US over the past two
decades.  I am worried that the same tactic will be used here to increase
prices on DNS names past the easily accessible levels we have now, and
create another system where only large corporations and the wealthy can
participate.

Please don't tie the future of the Internet to one corporation.
--
Adam Dorsey
adam.dorsey at gmail.com