[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Objection to significant domain price increases

Dan Liddle daliddle at outlook.com
Wed Feb 12 21:16:03 UTC 2020

Hello,
This note is to voice concern over the proposal to significantly increase domain prices.

The Internet is the single-most scalable way to reach people and communicate.  Free speech and open access for all--including lower income folks--is a fundamental right that we should help preserve and support.

The current pricing may not be considered high for some (or businesses) but we need to fight hard to keep the costs as absolutely low as possible for those who can barely afford the fee, yet have the same right to be heard as the rest of us.

There is a large but limited supply of domains and needs to be treated as a Public Good (in the Economics sense) and needs to be regulated and controlled in order to preserve access for all.

Minimal increases of 1-2% to help cover basic costs would be reasonable, but anything above that would stifle communications and access.

Thank you for listening.
-Dan Liddle