[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .COM TLD Contract Changes

Jonathan binkley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:15:24 UTC 2020

Hullo,

I am writing today to express my displeasure with the changes to the .COM
TLD contract your organization has with Verisign, Inc.

Raising the price of .COM by a large amount over the next X years harms all
of us normal people who use .COM domain names for various reasons, not just
small business. In my region, a bunch of pinball players have recently
bought a .COM just to promote local events. The .COM domain remains the
"default" that people think off when you tell them you have a website.

I'm not against modest increases but increasing 8/10 years for the next 10
years seems excessive. Maybe this could be toned down to 5/10 years on
alternating years?

Also, in a related issue, I feel the $20M over five years to support ICANN
domain name system initiatives needs oversight. From what I've read, this
is currently not the case.

Thank you for your time,
Jonathan Soon