[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Rising price of domain registration

kurthr at apple.com kurthr at apple.com
Wed Feb 12 22:35:06 UTC 2020

Personally, this proposal to increase pricing and profitability of domain distribution makes me question the goals and stewardship of ICAAN.
While the cost of providing the service and any amortized development/equipment costs continue to fall an increase in pricing without a substantial improvement in service or functionality seems only to serve monopolistic profit interests of particular government chosen private entities. I can not know the true motivation, but the appearance of impropriety is substantial without some well stated justification and promised improvement.

I can not find a member of the community that supports this proposal. As shown by the sale/auction of corp.com <http://corp.com/> and other cases where outright theft of domains (apparently bypassing 2FA) continues apace domain registrars remain in the Wild West., It would appear that even basic market functionality is lacking. Little or no useful service is actually offered (that could not be automatically distributed in a cryptographic block chain or other trusted public database) other than the sale of an artificially scarce digital commodity by monopoly interests.

Best luck,
Kurth