[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Uncapping price increase and maintaining monopoly is unfair

Vivek Goyal vivekg at ldotr.red
Thu Feb 13 05:12:44 UTC 2020

If we apply free market principals to the fact that the company
(Verisign) has the right to increase prices, then we also have to apply
the same principal to the fact that there is no reason for Verisign to
have a monopoly over the TLDs that it represents (COM and others). At
the end of the day, dotCOM is not the property of Versign but of ICANN
and Verisign is all but a registry. There are many other equally
qualified companies who can perform the same operation as Verisign and
maybe more effectively and efficiently.
Increasing prices without any clear and acceptable justification is
against the principals of ICANN and a crime against the internet users,
who will have no option but to accept the price increase.