[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] comment on Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Senor Duende tiendeduende at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:58:36 UTC 2020

To Whom It May Concern

I am both a customer of the .COM domain system and a seller as a through my
Hosting Business.

The .COM domain name enjoys a de facto "default" status that encourages
most new domain names to flow through to the .COM registrar, even after the
introduction of the new gTLDs and country-specific TLDs. In the same way
that the .ORG domain name should be managed and reserved for the enrichment
of public organisations, .COM domain name should be made freely available
to all people at a relatively cheap price. As we see an ever increasing
amount of entrepreneurship, we see a massive decrease in the cost of
compute; if anything we should see the wholesale prices for domain names
lower. This should be done to make the internet more free and open, and
encourage everyone to get domain names. I love domain names, and for me I
would love it if domain names proliferated to the same extent as email
addresses.

I make a note of ICANN's vision which is "To be a champion of the single,
open, and globally interoperable Internet". I do not see how increasing the
price of Domain Names, which will only increase the operating costs of
small business and individuals and not affect incumbent players in all
markets (which the price increase will not even be noticeable). This action
is completely in opposition of this vision. Please also refer to one of
ICANN's Strategic Goals: "Sustain and improve openness, inclusivity,
accountability, and transparency". How are you making the system more
inclusive if the cost of a .COM domain name is about eight times more than
what one third of the world's population makes per day? If anything, ICANN
should be focusing on reducing the wholesale .COM domain price to make it
more open and available.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this move to make obtaining .COM domains
harder. ICANN should reconsider this decision.

Regards,
DD

https://dev.to/hammotime/don-t-let-icann-increase-the-wholesale-domain-name-price-la4