[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Against Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Abigail A Nocon abbynocon at me.com
Thu Feb 13 15:38:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am writing as a concerned citizen and digital marketing professional about the proposed amendment 3 to the .com registry agreement.

I am concerned for many reasons, but it will primarily allow Verisign to increase the wholesale price to registrars for .COM domains every year for 8 out of the next 10 years, and the increases don’t stop there.

This will mean that .COM wholesale domain prices can grow by more than 70% over and above current prices over the next decade. The contract also allows for other price increases, which could drive prices up further, ultimately making .COM domains less accessible and more expensive for everybody.

The spirit of the world wide web is to be open and accessible. In addition to the price increases, it seems like ICANN will profit off of this - taking advantage of people who want to use this invaluable resource. There is no indication on how ICANN will spend the money and it seems very suspicious to not be transparent in this time.

It is troubling that ICANN has ignored previous comments, but I hope you will reconsider this amendment. The consequences of this decision will impact the entire Internet for many years and does not seem fully fair or thought out. We need to ensure we are not harming people by unilateral, biased decisions made by ICANN staff.

Best,

Abigail Nocon