[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Stop the .com price increase now!

Konstantinos Zournas blue at bluepixel.com
Thu Feb 13 16:55:48 UTC 2020

I am a .com registrant and I strongly oppose the proposed price
increases in .com domain names. I also represent all my clients here
in Greece that are also owners of .com domain names.

I am writing this comment with full knowledge that I will be ignored
by ICANN. This comment period parody that ICANN has built only
legitimizes their predetermined corrupted decisions. Comments, just
like with .org where 3,200 comments were ignored, will once again be
ignored. Verisign will get permission to print money through the .com
price increases while ICANN gets some spare change from Verisign as a
gift for their "services".

Billions of dollars will flow from the global economy to the pockets
of Verisign employees and shareholders without any real economy
justification.

The cost of maintaining the .com registry is going down while Verisign
remains the domain name monopoly that it is.

Verisign is running the .com registry at a cost of below $3 per domain
name while charging $7.85. Apparently that is not enough for ICANN. $3
is already an inflated price. If the .com registry contract was put up
for a public bid, as it should, then the cost would drop $2 and could
even approach $1 per domain name.

How does ICANN justifies a 30% price increase over 4 years on domain
names that cost so little to maintain and operate? Oh wait. ICANN said
that their are not price regulators. But yes they are. They always
were price regulators of the WHOLESALE pricing. They are not
regulators of the RETAIL pricing. ICANN was always setting a maximum
wholesale price on all legacy TLDs like .com, .net, .org, .info and
.biz. Only 2 months ago did it change its tune and started saying they
are not price regulators. ICANN is a price regulator of legacy domain
names just like every country in the world regulates the pricing of
its own ccTLD.

Of course the 30% price increase is just the beginning. .Com domain
names will keep increasing year after year, squeezing money from
unprotected registrants all over the world. Verisign's monopoly
violates people's rights all over the world. I hope governments from
countries all over the world get involved to stop this theft.

ICANN is now working for their registry friends instead of doing their
job that is protecting the public from unjustified price increases.
ICANN people are just doing anything so as not to lose their bonuses
and to secure their next high paying job at one of the registries they
help get richer. Biggest example is Fadi Chehade, former Chief
Executive Officer of ICANN, that is now consulting for Donuts that has
over 200 new domain extensions and also consulting for the potential
buyers of .org. ICANN removed the price caps on .org domains despite
public outrage. Now ICANN is being investigated by the California
Attorney General.

Verisign is one of the most profitable companies in the world with
some of the highest profit margins ever observed. People all over the
world are not working to pay the Verisign tax that ICANN imposes on
them.

Stop the .com price increase now!
Konstantinos Zournas
OnlineDomain.com