[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] The Need for an Affordable Internet

Joey White-Swift joeytx1840 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 03:28:05 UTC 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

It is my opinion that the reason that the internet has been such the
success that it has been is due to the ability of all to enter into it.  If
you have a neat idea, you can affordably create a space to be the next
great product or service.  The thing that everyone thinks of as a mark of
this success is .com, that is to say that when people hear a .biz, .bb,
.xyz, or even .net, they immediately have a lower connotation.  They ask
"Why don't they have a .com?" This may be due to phishing or scams over the
years or the .com boom, but everyone thinks of the .com as the standard for
safe, reputable business.  While large companies can afford whatever you
charge them, small businesses may be forced to spend their money on "lower
quality" / secondary domain names and are more likely to be perceived as
lower quality or not above bore.  This is not to say that each domain name
does not have a purpose, each does; it is to say that the collective
perceived security of .com is fundamental to a thriving society and
economy.  In the past, non-root dns servers were set up to expand upon the
options that you did not provide and forced you to even take some of the
offered domain names into your fold.  If you raise the prices on the
fundamental domain names like .com, you may set yourself up for greater
interest in such services again.

If it was not clear already, I oppose the changes that you have proposed in
the amendment and I hope you realize the deterrent they will cause, and
urge you to do the right thing by terminating amendment 3.

Thank you for your time,

J. F. White-Swift