[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .com price increases

Ada Worcester ada at pikhq.com
Fri Feb 14 03:33:26 UTC 2020

ICANN,

I was recently made aware of your recent agreement with Verisign to allow them to increase prices significantly for .com registrations. In light of both the significance of the price hikes (far outstripping inflation) and the secretive nature of these negotiations, I cannot help but feel that this proposal must be rejected outright.

ICANN is not a for-profit entity, and it must not be expected to maximize profit -- particularly not in its role as the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. ICANN must instead act as a public service, for all users of the Internet, and seek to maximize the general good. And, of course, while it has no particular contractual obligations to, by any reasonable standard it ought to honor the memory of the previous Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, Jon Postel.

Therefore, I ask again, that you back out of this agreement, and act in favor of the Internet, not Verisign.

Sincerely,
Ada Worcester
Staff Site Reliability Engineer -- Red Canary