[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comment on the Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Asuka Nan asuka.nanc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:10:10 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

Regarding the Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement, as an
Internet user I'd like to take the opportunity to express my concerns from
the following two aspects.

*-- Change of Section 7.3(d) of the Agreement (Maximum Price)*
.COM is undoubtedly the most recognized and widely used TLD in the world.
Comparing with other gTLDs, it bears an outstanding characteristic as
public resource. From information provided with the proposed amendment I
don't see any pressing and reasonable need of Verisgn to raise the price of
.COM. What kind of benefit or value whill the price hikes bring to end
users like myself. If either Verisign or ICANN can provide any
justification or clarification, please release them as soon as possible,
otherwise I cannot find myself agreeable to the proposed price hikes under
any circumstances.

*-- Funding to Support ICANN's Initiatives*
In light of the proposed price hikes, it seems very difficult for me to
understand the motive of offering the fund and whether it can be used
properly. ICANN has been working on preserving and enhanccing the security,
stability and resiliency of the DNS for more than a decade. Why in all of a
sudden it depends on Verisign to offer this additional amount of money? I
believe the global community has the right to ask for more transparency
from ICANN, not only on where this funding proposal came from, but also how
it will be used and who will oversee its using.

Sincerely,
Asuka Nan