[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposal to NOT increase .com domain prices

James Chung jameschungsy at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 14:05:54 UTC 2020

I have a few legitimate online business that use the .com domain. It gives us credibility and authority status, which we appreciate. It also allow for global biz spread and thus improving the way biz can grow with much speed and balance.

With the onslaught of a lot more option .shop, .tv etc, of course there is much administration work, and thus costs to keeping the industry intact. There should be more governance on these, as they are freely and abusively taken up by less than legitimate biz, and many fly-by-night, get-rich-quick practices, versus the regular registered businesses of .com. Perhaps the imposition of higher cost should focus on biz legitimacy than .com online entities.

Moreover, I do not support the notion that Verisign should increases in .COM prices. The current rate of about $8 is already far more than justified, which is under 25c a domain, thus close to a 100% profit.

ICANN can still do well to govern the domain name system in the public interest, without Verisign to exert a negative impact via higher costs.

Thank you.

Siah Chung
Singapore