[Comments-fellowship-proposal-11jun18] FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM

Alfredo Calderon calderon.alfredo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:29:11 UTC 2018

To whom it may concern:

After reviewing the comments on proposed changes or comments as a Fellow,
now Alumni I believe:

1.  The fellowship Program must have a clear definition of who can apply,
hence, selection criteria.  It does not seem clear the difference between
Next at Gen (besides the age criteria, and the University criteria).

2. The link between Next at Gen and Fellowship Program. It is feasible that an
individual can start as a Next at Gen and continue as a Fellowship Program
participant, without clear importance of the previous contact with ICANN
and its’ contituentcies. It would be helpful to have metrics on how this
contributes (if it does) to enhance involvement in ICANN OSs/ACs.

3. ICANN Learn Courses. As a former Fellow and now Alumni, it seems than
the online courses need to include a more detailed exploration of
individuals interests. I would suggest: a) quizzes have questions where
individuals need to resolve some form of case study, b) some questions
should be more focused on expressing opinions, instead of knowing facts, c)
mechanism to have questions scrambled once taken and not performed as
expected. Thus, allowing participant to review theory/section and expect
‘new’ questions.

4. I believe that the number of participants per ICANN Meeting should be
evaluated. This due to the fact that the lack of metrics seems to indicate
if the size is adequate and the ROI is reasonable. One would expect that
approximately 50% of Fellows would be involved in WG after participating in
an ICANN Meeting. I would recommend a three meeting evaluation (with
metrics) of reducing the number of participants to 45.  This would be
accompanied by a more detailed selection criteria.

5. Diversity/Underrepresentation. This is a crucial aspect of the selection
process. To me it seems important that among the criteria this must be
considered. I would suggest that some cultural elements be considered, on
the basis of additional value some participants might bring to a meeting
(as a Coach).

6. Language barrier.  The language barrier has not been mentioned as a
limitation. Although WGs and ICANN Meeting have translation this seems to
be a compelling factor for some individuals interested in participating in
the Fellowship Program.

[image: photo]
*Alfredo Calderon*
eLearning Consultant