[Comments-fellowship-proposal-11jun18] Draft Proposal of the New Fellowship Program Approach

Sarata Omane amasarata at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:06:24 UTC 2018

Application:
First time fellows
Identifying SO/AC/SG/C of interest may not be an easy task for someone who
is new or has learned something about ICANN. As a first time fellow it was
not easy for me. I had to observe some activities of the constituencies
after some time. Going through the ICANN learn is a good initiative as I
continue to take some of the courses. One face-to-face ICANN meeting and
the online course is not enough for almost every newcomer to know his or
her way around ICANN. More publicity should be done for the larger
community and not only fellows to have easy access and know the existence
of ICANN learn course. The course content should be user-friendly and one
that will encourage people to complete the courses applied.

SO/AC as mentors
SO/AC should demonstrate skills and ability to mentor others. I have been
to two Policy forum. My first onsite mentor, though very vocal when it
comes to policy development and very experienced community member did not
demonstrate the capability to mentor me. Our meeting onsite did not yield
the needed results. I had support/guidelines from returning fellows.
However, my second 2nd policy onsite mentor though very busy made time for
us at breakfast. She is willing to groom us and will continue contact even
after the meeting.

Fellows who have gone through the process have the ability to blend well
and explain procedures and involvement to new fellows.

Mentors should not be limited to only SO/AC but to include former fellows
who have some experience in the constituencies.

Selection committee: Verify proof of engagement provided by returning
Fellows.
Local outreach activities/capacity building activities should be included.
These might not be related to ICANN but can enhance once participation in
ICANN activities.

Meeting structure:
Returning fellow:
Apart from attending constituency specific sessions, returning fellows
should be allowed to explore other constituencies that may be of interest
to them as well and at least learn something different from the other
constituencies.