[Comments-fellowship-proposal-11jun18] Comment for Fellowship Proposal

Jay Paudyal paudyaljay at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:51:43 UTC 2018

Dear PDP Team,

I was Fellow for ICANN60 & ICANN62 and quite satisfied with the program, also post fellowship, I did several ICANN Outreach Programs and capacity building activities in my region by my own.

By seeing the current proposal it seems like I am reading a Job Description. So much emphasize on Pre/Post fellowship activities giving feel like Fellows don’t have other jobs to do. I can understand ICANN is expecting something in return from a Fellow this is quite reasonable at ICANN’s end, but at the same time ICANN should think eventually a Fellow is a volunteer, they have day jobs too.  I have following recommendations:

-          Current criteria of Selecting Fellow is fine, in addition to this we can add , a candidate should have prior experience of promoting or participating in any kind of Internet Governance activities. This will show genuine interest of the candidate. Candidate can submit photos or videos of such activity for reference.

-          For ICANN Fellow Alumni there should be stricter criteria than newcomers, for second or third Fellowship candidates have to submit proof of post fellowship activities in the form of photos, videos or appreciation certificate from a reputed organization.

-          There should be strict total number of fellowships allowed for an individual, that is 3 currently, but this should be followed strictly.

-          Selection process should be more transparent; Selection committee should publish the list of all candidates who have applied for the Fellowship with candidate’s  Name, Region, Stakeholder group and one line brief intro.

-          After announcement of fellowship, Fellowship team should reach them in a particular time frame to check whether they got their VISA or not, in ICANN62 Fellowship there were many selected fellows who didn’t come because of delay or refusal in Visa. If any selected Fellow does not get Visa in stipulated time frame then that seat should be given to other deserving candidate.

I feel less strictness should not be the reason for the Fellow not taking further interest or part in ICANN activities. If you assign good coach, follow systematic approach to train them and there should be regular follow-ups by the assigned coach. It will definitely increase the percentage of fellow taking more interest and increased participation in ICANN activities.

Regards

Jay Paudyal

- ICANN Fellow
- Member of Neo-Brahmi Generation Panel