[Comments-icann-meetings-strategy-14dec17] Comment from Alan Greenberg

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 1 19:04:40 UTC 2018

This comment is submitted on my own behalf only, and is not a formal
statement of the ALAC.

Community Forum: No change

Policy Forum: I support a change to five days since operating in 4
had been rather problematic. Although I support a recommendation that
AC/SOs consider using this additional day for outreach, I do not
support making this mandatory.

Even in a group that supports dedicating time solely to outreach, not
all of their participants may be involved. I believe the logistics of
identifying exactly what that outreach will be and who will
participate to be impractical given that it would have to be done
PRIOR to starting travel arrangements. Therefore I strongly suggest
that each community divide their time as appropriate to allow their
outreach efforts in parallel with policy discussions.

AGM: I support keeping the meeting at 7 days, but making it clear
that day 7 is for AC/SO meetings, some of which may be closed and
that ICANN attendees verify with their AC/SO whether there will be
any public meetings.

Alan Greenberg