[Comments-info-renewal-18mar19] Opposition to removing price caps

Caroline Taylor cntaylor05 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 04:33:33 UTC 2019

Greetings,

I would like to register my opposition to any removal of the price caps for .info and .org domains. I speak as the owner of a .info domain, and someone who is about to register a nonprofit organisation out of Trinidad & Tobago with a .org extension.

People like me use .info because it is an affordable alternative to .coms when those top-level domains are already taken; and nonprofits routinely use .org as an extension to reinforce their nonprofit status. Like .info, .org is also currently an affordable extension.

The permitted 10% year on year increase already is excessive, and removing price caps altogether would likely make these extensions prohibitive. And for those of us who have already been operating a .info domain for several years, having to purchase another domain that is more affordable — should price caps be removed — would be onerous, and have a severe short-to-medium term impact on our well-earned search engine rankings.

Please ensure that you put consumers and people before corporations and profits. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Caroline Taylor