[Comments-info-renewal-18mar19] Strongly in favor of price caps in the renewal agreement

matthewlewisnewton at gmail.com matthewlewisnewton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 17:11:04 UTC 2019

Hello ICANN, my name is Matt Newton and I am a software engineer who works on the web. I am strongly opposed to uncapped prices for TLD registrars, who can use this monopoly power to enrich themselves at the expense of small players on the web. I believe this proposal will exacerbate the centralization of the web by pricing out small companies from getting hosting independent of centralized platforms like Facebook. It is contrary to the mission of an open web for all and serves only to enrich a few TLD registrar middlemen beyond their operating costs.