[Comments-ksk-rollover-restart-01feb18] Internet Society comments on plan to roll the Root KSK on 11 October 2018

Dan York york at isoc.org
Mon Apr 2 15:36:51 UTC 2018

We support the "ksk-rollover-restart" plan and urge ICANN to proceed with the Root KSK Rollover on 11 October 2018.

As we stated in our comments in 2013 [ https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-root-zone-consultation-08mar13/msg00010.html ], we believe that this rollover of the Root KSK is critical to ensure the ongoing operational reliability of DNSSEC.

We do understand and appreciate the concerns that caused the postponement from the original target date of 11 October 2017. While the deployment of RFC 8145 gave some insight into potential failure, it is not clear what the actual impact of a rollover is going to be. It is also not clear whether in a relatively short timescale - on the order of a year or less - the risk assessment will be better informed. That, with the continued risk of further ossification of the existing trust anchor, makes us continue to support an 'early rollover scenario'.

We encourage ICANN and associated partners to continue further study of the RFC 8145 data to better understand the risks - but we believe that the plan should still move forward.

We also encourage ICANN to continue to expand communication and outreach activities to help the community of network operators be prepared to address any issues on 11 October 2018. We will do what we can to assist in this communication and outreach - and encourage all others involved with DNSSEC to do what they can as well.

We look forward to the successful Root KSK Rollover on 11 October 2018 - and to what lessons can be learned so that Root KSK Rollovers can potentially occur on a more regular basis.

Regards,
Olaf Kolkman, Chief Internet Technology Officer.
Dan York, DNSSEC Program Coordinator

Internet Society
https://www.internetsociety.org/