[Comments-managing-idn-variant-tlds-25jul18] comments from the end user perspective

王伟 wangwei at knet.cn
Thu Sep 6 08:17:26 UTC 2018

I am glad to see that  ICANN generated and published the recommendations for Managing IDN Variant Top-Level Domains.
The recommendations give a clear guidance to the concerned parties on how to handle domain name variant properly, and to prevent the domain name confusion.

However, according to my experience, most end users have few knowledge about the exact rules of variant domain names, and there is no effective tool which could  help end users recognize variant domain name or remind them of the potential risk caused by the domain name similarity abuse, when they access web site, send emails or search whois information.
I exchanged the concerns with some ALAC members, personally, I'd like to suggest ICANN and the community, along with the IDN project, to development a tool/service that could monitor if the registries and registrars operate strictly under the IDN variant recommendation/regulation, as well as provided to third parties and end users to improve their practice and skill.

Best,
Wei WANG