[Comments-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-initial-08oct18] Awareness campaign

Jay Westerdal jay at topspectrum.com
Tue Nov 20 22:20:39 UTC 2018

To increase the awareness of new TLDs is a win-win-win-win for ICANN,
registries, registrars, and end-users. In person marketing at trade-shows
would make a material difference. I propose ICANN purchases booth space and
allowed registries and registrars to volunteer to staff it. Two or three
trade-shows a month would make a ripple effect. Please chose a variety of
industries and choose conferences with 1,000+ attendees. I am certain that
registries would volunteer to staff these booths. We certainly would. In
fact, most of this would be organized by Volunteers from the community.

I propose that 50% of the auction funds be used for awareness campaigns.
Ideal this would be an endowment fund, where 100% of the money is invested
and the fund would earn interest on the original money, it would retain the
first 3% for deprecation, then any funds after this point would be
allocated on the outreach campaigns budget. After 30 years, the funds would
have grown and this campaign can come to a conclusion. The endowment fund
can choose the next stage of philanthropic use that aligns with ICANN's
mission.

Had ICANN started this in 2015, the excess interest would have funded a lot
of good outreach by now.

Jay Westerdal
Top Level Spectrum, Inc.